REVITALIZING KALAMA SCHOOLS
Kalama citizens approved a $63.4 million school bond in 2018 to improve outdated school and support modern learning environments for our students. The bond measure includes project such as:
- A new elementary school – this is the first new elementary school for Kalama in 60 years!
- High school improvements
- Creation of designated middle school classrooms
- Outdoor learning/ Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) program enhancements
Our community’s commitment to education is truly inspiring and we are so thankful for the support and generosity!
Since passage of the bond in February 2018, the School District and its project partners have worked diligently to be good stewards of these public funds. Despite unprecedented rises in construction costs, we’ve been laser focused on delivering on five key areas of improvement -- areas identified by parents, business owners, teachers, alumni and other members of our community as top priorities. Those areas are as follows:
- Capacity improvements at Kalama Elementary
- A space for music, art and drama at the elementary school
- A larger, more efficient elementary school cafeteria and kitchen
- New spaces for STEM learning
- Safety and security improvements on school grounds
- Creation of quality spaces for community use
ELEMENTARY Project update: Fall 2019
We are pleased to report that construction continues without delay on the new Kalama Elementary School. Current construction plans satisfy ALL SIX areas of improvement identified by the community, with features including:
- 33 new classrooms serving kindergarten through 5th grade
- A full-size, high school regulation gym
- A new cafeteria and kitchen
- Parking improvements including separate bus loading and parent pick-up/drop-off areas
- STEM learning areas
- Classrooms for arts and music
In an effort to keep members of the community up to date on this important work, we’ve compiled a list of helpful resources:
Do you have additional questions about the project? Reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.