Boundary / Choice Transfer Request

Boundaries and exceptions

Family Choice allows any student who resides outside the district to apply to attend school in the district.

The district will consider all applications for non-resident attendance equally, based on the following standards:

  • Whether space is available in the grade level or classes at the building in which the student desires to be enrolled;

  • Whether appropriate educational programs or services are available to improve the student's condition as stated in the requesting release from his or her district of residence; 

  • Whether the student's attendance in the district is likely to create a risk to the health or safety of other students or staff;

  • Whether the student's disciplinary records indicate a history of violent or disruptive behavior or gang membership; and 

  • Whether the student has been expelled or suspended from a public school for more than ten consecutive days, in which case the student may apply for admission under the district's policy for readmission of expelled students.

A parent or guardian may apply for admission on behalf of his or her child by completing the Boundary/Choice Transfer Request Form online HERE. This form is also available at the Kalama Schools district office, located at 548 China Garden Road, Kalama, WA 98625.

Have questions not answered in the FAQ below? Please contact Laurie Merwin, Choice Coordinator, at 360-673-5282 or by email at

Non-resident boundary requests are valid for one school year only; therefore, a Choice Transfer Request Form must be submitted for consideration each school year.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

How is boundary exception approval/denial determined?

Requests for boundary exceptions into a school are considered on a space-available basis within the grade level and/or class.

Are other factors taken into consideration for approval of boundary exception?

While boundary exceptions are requested for a variety of reasons, including financial, educational, safety, or health conditions affecting the student, the proximity of the school to childcare or a parent's workplace, or the presence of a special hardship are also considered.

Who transports students on boundary exceptions?

Parents of students with boundary exceptions are responsible for transporting them to and from school, on time each day. Please note that students who are excessively tardy and/or absent may have their boundary application denied or revoked in accordance with district policy.

Is the boundary exception guaranteed forever?

No. Requests for boundary exceptions must be approved each school year. A boundary exception approved one school year does not guarantee approval for the following year.