Hello Kalama Students and Parents,
As the start of school draws ever closer, we wanted to take another opportunity to share information regarding school this fall.
Kalama schools will begin the year in the Stage 1 Remote Learning, which means students will start school in an online learning setting. As soon as health and safety allows us to move into Stage 2, students and staff will move into a hybrid model where there will be in-person instruction following an A/B rotation. In this setting, students will attend class on campus 2 days a week and attend remotely the other days of the week. There will also be an option for students to continue with an in a district supported online only manner. Parents will be sent a survey in the upcoming weeks where you will be able to select whether your student will continue learning online even if we are in Stage 2 or 3.
Students will receive a class schedule and will follow the attached school bell schedule to the best of their ability. Students will receive their class schedules on August 26th either when they come to pick up technology or via Skyward. With our Distance Learning Schedule, we have tried to balance the time where students will be working offline with the time that they will need to be learning online.
Going forward, all secondary teachers will be using Canvas as our learning management system (LMS). This means that students and parents will only have to go to one place to find classes, teachers, and assignments! We will be sending out more information on what Canvas is, how to access it, and how to navigate it soon.
What to look forward to in the weeks ahead:
· August 26th & 27th - Technology pick-up (see attached Tech info), receive class schedule, drop off last year’s textbooks, begin to familiarize with 20-21 online expectations, staff contacting families
· August 28th – Virtual Welcome Back Assembly (students will be sent an invite through their school email account), Introductory Canvas Tutorials
· August 31st through September 4th – Students attend virtual classes with additional instruction and activities on technology use and expectations
· August 31st – Virtual Parent Information Meetings (Links and information will be sent through Skyward)
· September 2nd & 3rd – Textbook and materials pick-up
As always, please do not hesitate to call if we can be of any assistance or if you have additional questions. The Middle/High School office can be reached at 360-673-5212 during the hours of 8:00 A.M. to 3:30 P.M Monday through Friday. We will continue sending out updates to families as we get closer to August 26th.